Current:Home > MarketsSchool shooting in Brazil’s Sao Paulo leaves one student dead -Secure Growth Academy
School shooting in Brazil’s Sao Paulo leaves one student dead
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:34:49
SAO PAULO (AP) — A teenager opened fire at a high school in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo early Monday, killing one student and wounding two others, authorities said.
The Folha de S.Paulo newspaper identified the assailant as a male student at the high school who was a frequent target of bullying and said that the victim who died was a 17-year-old girl who was shot in the head.
Authorities did not immediately release details about the suspected shooter, but the Sao Paulo state government said in a statement that police took him into custody. Two students were wounded in the shooting, and one other was hurt in a scramble to escape. All three were brought to a hospital, it said.
“At this moment, the priority is attending to the victims and psychological support to students, teachers and family members,” the statement said.
This was Brazil’s first school attack in months, following a rash of them earlier this year. There have been almost two dozen violent episodes in Brazilian schools since 2000, half in the last 18 months. The newly empowered government of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva launched an all-hands effort across federal, state and municipal levels in April to stamp out the emerging trend.
“My condolences to the family of the murdered young woman and the injured students,” President Lula wrote on X, formerly Twitter, on Monday. “We cannot normalize affordable guns for young people in our society and tragedies like these.”
It was not immediately clear how the assailant obtained his firearm.
veryGood! (96121)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Wildfire map: Thousands of acres burn near New Jersey-New York border; 1 firefighter dead
- Should Georgia bench Carson Beck with CFP at stake against Tennessee? That's not happening
- Kid Rock tells fellow Trump supporters 'most of our left-leaning friends are good people'
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Wall Street makes wagers on the likely winners and losers in a second Trump term
- Taylor Swift's Dad Scott Swift Photobombs Couples Pic With Travis Kelce
- Democrat Ruben Gallego wins Arizona US Senate race against Republican Kari Lake
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- NATO’s Rutte calls for more Western support for Ukraine, warns of Russian alliances
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Francesca Farago Details Health Complications That Led to Emergency C-Section of Twins
- How Leonardo DiCaprio Celebrated His 50th Birthday
- The boy was found in a ditch in Wisconsin in 1959. He was identified 65 years later.
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Mississippi rising, Georgia falling in college football NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 after Week 11
- John Robinson, former USC Trojans and Los Angeles Rams coach, dies at 89
- Mississippi rising, Georgia falling in college football NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 after Week 11
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Sam LaPorta injury update: Lions TE injures shoulder, 'might miss' Week 11
Mike Williams Instagram post: Steelers' WR shades Aaron Rodgers 'red line' comments
'Mary': See the exclusive first trailer for Netflix's faith-based thriller
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
The boy was found in a ditch in Wisconsin in 1959. He was identified 65 years later.
Video shows masked man’s apparent attempt to kidnap child in NYC; suspect arrested
Tua Tagovailoa playing with confidence as Miami Dolphins hope MNF win can spark run